Event Description and Schedule
March 16-17, 2019
Start spring off with a *bang!* at this urban ultra on a paved greenway trail in Alcoa, TN (near Knoxville). This event started in 2013 and has quickly become very popular, always selling out before the registration closing date. With distances ranging from the 1 mile family fun run/walk to the ultra-crazy 100 miler, there’s something for everyone. Runners will score some great swag and some really cool finisher’s awards. They can enjoy the optional tasty pre-race pasta dinner; and will be spoiled by great volunteers, heated aid station support, warming stations, and camaraderie with plenty of other crazy ultra runners. This is a great race for first time and seasoned ultra runners alike. Walkers are welcome too. We’re here to have a good time!
Need some good reasons to get off the couch and sign up? How about these? Run off those extra winter pounds. Try out that fancy new running gear you got for Christmas and have been itching to use. Go for an “easy” ultra before you attempt a big, hairy one on a remote trail. Tackle a longer distance than you’ve done before. Prove you have an ultra in you. Run with friends. Because you can!
So get your summertime bod in shape by running, walking, or crawling(!) multiple loops of approximately 5.5 miles of the lighted, paved linear Alcoa-Maryville Greenway along Pistol Creek. Pick your distance. Options include a 1 mile family friendly fun run/walk; a mini-Pistol 10 miler; or the full-bore Pistol Ultra 50K, 50 miler, 100K, and/or 100 miler. There is also a 2 or 3 person relay option for the 50K distance. Each relay leg is only about 10.35 miles long each. For a two person relay, one runner will do two legs.
The event is hosted at Alcoa High School, only a couple of miles from Knoxville’s McGee-Tyson Airport. On Saturday morning, March 16, 2019, the 50K starts at 7:55 AM EDT, and the 100K/100 Miler both start at 8:00 AM. The 50 Miler starts at 8:00 PM Saturday evening. The mini-Pistol 10 Miler starts at 7:55 AM Sunday, and the 1 mile Family Fun Run/Walk starts at 8:00 AM Sunday. All races end at 4:00 PM Sunday (a 32 hour cutoff for the 50K/100K/100 miler, 20 hours for the 50 miler, and 8 hours for the 10 miler). The last official 100 mile finisher wins the coveted Slowest Draw Award!
**Local time zone is EDT.
All events take place at Alcoa High School: 1205 Lodge Street, Alcoa, TN 37701
Friday, March 15, 2019
- 2:30-4:00 PM: Workshop with 2019 keynote speaker, Jason Romero. Info/registration here.
- 2:00-6:00 PM: Ultra distances check-in/packet pickup. (The Pistol Creek 1 and 10 Mile check-in is only on Sunday 6:45-7:45 AM.) Get your tech shirt, bib, swag, any applicable sales/add-ons, and optional meal ticket(s) (if purchased). PLEASE HELP US AVOID LONG LINES BY COMING EARLY (2-4 PM)!
- 2:00-6:00 PM: Pre-race expo
- 5:00-6:00 PM: Almost-mandatory pre-race meeting with keynote speaker, Jason Romero. There will also be door prizes and a pistol squat contest.
- 6:00-7:00 PM: Optional pre-race pasta dinner (with vegetarian option). Meal tickets are required and can be purchased through UltraSignup here. More details can be found on the Overview/Rules page.
Saturday, March 16, 2019
(Sunrise ~7:44 AM; sunset ~7:45 PM)
- 6:30-7:30 AM: Bagels, bananas, drinks, etc available in the Pistol Cafe for runners. Also late arrival check-in/packet pickup. THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO CHANGE YOUR RACE DISTANCE AND STILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR A FINISHER’S AWARD!
- 7:30-7:50 AM: Pre-race welcome by Alcoa School Superintendent and presentation of charity checks; then move outdoors for the national anthem
- 7:55 AM: 50K (solo and relay) races start
- 8:00 AM: 100K and 100 mile races start
- 11:30 AM-Sunday 4:00 PM: Food, drinks, and chocolate milk available for all runners and their pacers in the Pistol Cafe (inside the school commons area)
- 7:00-7:45 PM: 50 mile race packet pick-up
- 8:00 PM: 50 mile race starts
Sunday, March 17, 2019
- 6:45-7:45 AM: 1 mile and 10 mile packet pick-up
- 7:55 AM: 10 mile race starts
- 8:00 AM: 1 mile family fun run/walk starts
- 4:00 PM: All races end
NOTE: All finishers awards are presented and pictures taken in the Awards area immediately after completion (except those awards needing personalization, which will be mailed later). Overall placement podium photos will also be taken. All members of the 3 fastest relay teams will need to stay until all their team members have finished so a team picture can be taken. There are no other formal post-race activities scheduled.